The American Institute of Architects, in New York, celebrates the life and work of the Italian-born Brazilian modernist Lina Bo Bardi. Divided in two evening panel discussions (March 20 and March 23), the event Lina Bo Bardi: Visionary architect celebrates 100 years since the birth of the architect, whose contributions to Brazilian architecture, art, and design have echoed through several generations and into current culture.
Friday, March 20th, 6 – 8 pm
- Marcelo Ferraz, architect – he will speak about the renovation/archaeology in SESC POMPEIA, highlighting the way that she understood historical buildings, materials and crews role.
- Zeuler Lima, architect and scholar – he will show a timeline highlighting graphic productions that Lina developed throughout her entire life, her thoughts about design and the authenticity of her texts.
- Caca Rosset, well known actor and theatre director – he will talk about his experiences with LINA during the play UBU-Rei by Alfred Jarry. This play, like others that his company produced, was acclaimed throughout the entire world and in New York, won the applause and support of Joseph Papp and The Public Theatre of New York City.
- Moderator: Silvia Perea, architect and PhD from Columbia University, where she wrote her doctorate focusing on the political architecture designed by Lina Bo Bardi.
- Co-Moderator: Hana Kassem, AIA
Monday, March 23rd, 6 – 8 pm
- Marcelo Ferraz, architect and curator of Lina bo Bardi’s restrospective in 1995 and “Lina Bo Bardi: Politic Architecture” at Sesc Pompeia, Sao Paulo in 2014.
- Giancarlo Lattorraca, architect, director of Museu da Casa Brasileira, Sao Paulo, Brazil and curator of “Ways of Showing: the Architecture Exhibition of Lina Bo Bardi”, at Museu da Casas Brasileira in 2014.
- Renato Anelli, architect, curator and director of Instituto of Lina Bo Bardi. He will describe the role of this Institute in keeping this collection fresh, allowing her memory to stay alive by her furniture, graphics, architectural projects, books and personal objects.
- Noemi Blager (by Skype): architect and curator from Buenos Aires, Argentina, currently based in London. She is the curator of “Lina Bo Bardi: Together”, initiated by the British Council to create long-term connections between British and Brazilian designers and architects.
- Moderator: Yehuda E. Safran studied at Saint Martin’s School of Art, the Royal College of Art, and University College, London the subjects Art, Architecture and Philosophy, respectively. He has published articles in several magazines. Currently, he directs the Potlatch Journal and the Research Lab for Art and Architecture, and teaches at Columbia University Graduate School of Architecture, Planning and Preservation and Pratt Institute.